Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Cervical play-by-play

For those of you lost in the cervix shuffle, I thought I'd post a complete history of where me and my cervix have been, where we are today and what's coming up for the two of us:

In mid-March I had my annual check up and my pap came back as abnormal. It showed low grade dysplasia and signs that HPV may be present. In most cases, this is a test result that a doctor wouldn't pay much attention to and the standard approach would be to have the patient come back in 4-6 months for another pap smear.

One thing I have learned in all of this is that there are many things that can contribute to results like my original results. I have also learned that the immune system usually takes care of these "abnormalties" all on it's own.

My doc is pretty aggressive and doesn't like to take the lets wait and see approach. Her approach is lets explore this further and see without a doubt what is going on sooner rather than later. Instead of waiting 4-6 months for another pap she had me go in for the Colposcopy last week. In that appointment the doctor running the show did the colposcopy, another pap and a biopsy.

The colposcopy and biopsy results were totally normal, not even any signs of any abnormalities whatsoever. This is odd because it hasn't even been four weeks since my first pap and there could be improvements in my cervix but it shouldn't be 100% clear in that short of time. So that was the good news. Odd news, but good news I guess.

The really goofy part is that the second pap came back as high grade dysplasia which tells the doctor that there is either cancer or pre-cancer present. My paps, in 3 weeks time, made DRASTIC changes and not drastically good changes unfortunately.

Now, the colposcopy and biopsy, from what I understand, are the tests that are supposed to tell the doctors without a doubt what is going on. They are the more difinitive procedures. They should support the findings in the pap smear and clarify exactly what is happening. The test results are just not making any sense.

Right now, my doctor is baffled because the test results aren't supporting eachother and she is concerned about the pap going from one extreme to the next.

So what's next? I've been referred to see a third doctor now for another procedure called a LEEP. I am a little confused though. The LEEP procedure is to remove abnormal cells, whether they are cancer or precancer or just plain abnormal. The problem is they haven't been able to actually SEE anything abnormal in the colposcopy so I don't know what they think they are going to remove.

I have to talk to the assistant of this other doctor directly to schedule the LEEP procedure. I called Monday morning and she was out of the office for the day. I'm hoping she can give me some more information about what the hell they really think they are going to do at this next appointment.

I'm guessing it will be another month or so before that procedure. I'm also planning to go to another clinic for a second opinion after the LEEP procedure if they haven't figured out what is going on by then.

Until then though...it is chin up and cervix jokes aplenty.

Thanks for all the emails and support. I think for the most part I am dealing with the big mysterious cervical unknown rather well. I'm also dealing with it with a lot of humor so if you think I am being inappropriate in some of my posts or emails please understand that if I don't find humor in this I will be sobbing in my bed day and night and that is really not my style.

You guys are the best and I promise to keep you posted.

9 Comments:

At 4/18/2006 08:08:00 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Thanks for the update. I sure hope they get to the "bottom" of this soon. (((Hugs)))

 
At 4/18/2006 08:18:00 AM, Blogger EdotR said...

Get well vibes sent via USPS Priority!!

 
At 4/18/2006 11:28:00 AM, Blogger KathyK said...

Personally, I think humor is not only appropriate when faced with scary, confusing medical results, but mandatory! Sending you supporting vibes from Texas.

 
At 4/18/2006 01:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, if you need a cervix donor, let me know... tee hee. I'm sure you don't have many friends with one to spare, so you can count on me!

Thinking of you.

 
At 4/18/2006 01:56:00 PM, Blogger Shelly said...

Whoa - talk about *weird*. Not a month or so ago, I went to the doctor, and *I* had low grade dysplasia and HPV showing on my pap smear. I also had a colposcopy, and nothing was seen. My doc, though, is taking the "wait and see" method and in about 3 or 4 months I have to go back for another colposcopy.

The weird thing? I was more upset for my husband. I had to tell him I had HPV - and there's no way to tell where I got it or who gave it to me. The doc was telling me there's two types - and the type I have is the one that "prone to cervical cancer" - you should have seen the look on my hubby's face when I said that.

It *is* weird that you're having a LEEP procedure when they can't see what they plan to take out. However, when you say "the biopsy and colposcopy should support the pap" - I disagree. Because according to my pap, I should already have cervical cancer - the colposcopy *is* the definitive method to find out. The Pap is apparently way too easy to mess up or the test was way too sensitive...which is why it's not completely relied on and other tests are taken. They swipe your cervix with vinegar, and the abnormal cells (if there are any) will show up white, and the doc can see them with the naked eye. If they don't, then you get another test in 6 months, because you can't really biopsy anything if there's nothing there *to* biopsy, KWIM?

Anyway, when I had all of this done, I went to webmd.com to look up everything. There's a crapload of info there, and it answered all of my questions.

Anyway, it's weird that you're having the exact same issue I am - and although it's good that your doc is so aggressive about it, I'm wondering if she's being a little *too* aggressive...nothing like scaring the crap out of you when it's probably nothing. In my case, I'm still pregnant, so if I actually had a problem, I'd be screwin' the pooch right now. Can't do anything about it until after the baby is born - nice, eh?

 
At 4/18/2006 07:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry you are having to deal with all this and that it can't all be more clear. I have HPV was diagnosed with it years ago. To shelly above in 6 years I have not passed it on to my husband.

I have had a LEEP procedure and I too agree that you should ask "what are they LEEP-ing if there is nothing to see? Hang on, chin up and bring out the cookies. I will be thinking of you.

 
At 4/19/2006 08:53:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laughter is definitely the best way to deal with medical procedures...case in point: I had my brain surgery on the same day as another girl...same procedure/same age...4 days after the procedure I was headed home. The day they released me to return to work,they released her from the hospital. I went in saying in was going to be the worst haircut of my life and that if dog wanted to kill me on the operating table he would've done it years ago.

Keep your head up and remember, doctor's and their tests are not always right. Especially if they can't agree on your results. Definitely get a second opinion.

 
At 4/21/2006 12:41:00 PM, Blogger Shelly said...

To Michelle up there :)

Thanks! But my hubby actually feels bad because *he* thinks he gave it to *me*, and if I get cancer, he says he'll feel responsible.

(This is because after we started dating, he discovered he had a fun STD - a curable one, it was gone for good in about a week - given to him by his ex-girlfriend. So he thinks that because he had this, he must have given me some kind of disease.)

He's so sweet. LOL

 
At 3/26/2012 09:47:00 AM, Anonymous ovulation predictor said...

Katie, thanks for sharing all these with us

 

Post a Comment

<< Home